Blogging has changed a lot from the early days it seems. Aby and I came into the blogosphere when photography was already important but many people who started before us knew the blogging world as a place to write and share experiences. Of course this is still very much the foundation of writing a post but these days photography is paramount to creating a blog that people will love.
Storytelling isn’t just about the words now, people use photos to share a story and as they say, a photo is worth a thousand words. Now we don’t all have to be professional photographers to get some amazing shots, some of the best photos can be taken using a smart phone these days which is fab!
Aby and I are often complimented on our photography and so we thought we would share the equipment that we use to get those shots.
- iPhone – we both have an iphone, I have the iPhone 6 and Aby has the iPhone 6s. The cameras on both are brilliant and so if you aren’t able to buy a DSLR right now then we would definitely recommend the iPhone for your next upgrade.
- Nikon 3200 – I adore my Nikon and take it most places now. However, the blogs I adore always have photos with those blurry backgrounds. To achieve that you need a 50mm lens and so that is what I use now.
- Canon EOS 100D – Aby went for a Canon and loves hers, which came with a 18-55mm lens. I would say there isn’t much between them and it is all down to personal choice at the end of the day. She also has a 75-300mm lens and a 50 mm lens which is her go-tos for her photos of her daughter.
- Canon G7X – we both have one of these and adore them for making videos for our YT channels. I use mine for photos too and although I don’t love it as much as my 50mm lens, it does the job for still shots.
To get those great shots, it isn’t always about the camera – you need the right accessories too!
- Tripod – This is so handy for when you want to take a group shot or for a situation where you need the camera to be still.
- GorillaPod – I use mine quite a lot when I am out and about and don’t want to cart the tripod out with me. You can hang it from trees and other weird and wonderful places too which is handy!
- Remote – So so handy! I have a Nikon and Aby has the Canon of course but they mean we don’t have to run back and forth setting the timer when in the shot ourselves!
- Portable Light reflector – If you take product shots and live in a cave then these are great!
- Lighting Kit – If you want some serious light then these are the answer. Perfect for product shots of if you do ‘to camera’ vlogs.
Once you’ve taken your photos it isn’t just a case of uploading them and hoping for the best. Half the job is in the editing! You can crop to get a better composition and add effects or dabble in light and dark etc… There are lots of programs but here are our favourites.
- Picmonkey – I use this as it satisfies my needs. i do pay the yearly subscription so I have access to all of the tools but this isn’t too much over a year.
- Lightroom – This is Aby’s go-to tool and if you follow her blog you will know her photos are absolutely gorgeous!
So that is it, everything we use to get the shots we need on our blogs. So often I will go onto a blog and find teeny tiny photos – I don’t want to squint to have to make out what they are showing! So whether you want to use your iPhone on a gorilla grip or spend a little more and get a DSLR, there is no reason why you can’t have big beautiful shots on your blog!